Saturday, February 6, 2010

Wishing

I'm not really sure how I feel about the final project. I found a lot of information in the books that I found, but it took me some time to find them. Also, I don't like the fact that I feel like I didn't find enough of a variety of sources--I was hoping to find a few journal articles and maybe some videos or other media sources, but I just didn't have enough time to invest in the search. I really like the design of my PowerPoint presentation. I used a photo I took with my camera phone as the background for the slides. Also, I tiled the background, making it look like there were rows of books. I also adjusted the transparency so the image was lighter. Sort of like how a watermark works on a word document. As far as the content goes, I tried to pick out as much of the most relevant information as I could. I'm sure there was more information I could've included, but as it was, the presentation was already 15 slides long. I didn't want it to be too bogged down. I think I found a lot of useful material that I can put to use in the future and possibly others will too.

As far as what could be done differently with similar investigations, I'm not sure. I think that possibly investigating Children's publication could be a seperate inquiry. Also, one might choose to investigate a single publisher. Possibly interview a publisher, an editor, and an author to see what the experience is like from start to finish. Thinking back on it now, I see that would definately be an interesting inquiry to follow.

I think there are ways in which students and young adults might approach inquiries in the same way that I have and also in different ways. Many students and young adults might choose to use google first. I use the University Library's catalog first. But I also used google to find web addresses for the publishing compies that came to mind. I also was not afraid to ask for help, though students and young adults might be reluctant to do. Although, sometimes, they want to ask for help right away to possibly try to avoid working hard and figuring things out on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment